Friday, January 27, 2012

The Book of Ages: Your life.

Many times I would hear the counsel to keep a journals. I would blow it off as I thought to myself, Journals are for girls. But when I became older and went on my mission I decided to keep a journal. It has been fun to be able to look back on funny times and it's been amazing to look when I was going through had times to see when the Lord would step in to lift me through it. But this last week in a missionary meeting they talked about keeping a journal. They compared scriptures to journals and why it is important to keep them. I never had thought about it like that, to think that they were a journal at one time.
As I though about this a thought came to me "If journals are like scriptures, could they help me too?" While at the end of a hard day I was looking for help. I say my journal and I opened it to a random page. With in the first three lines of reading my question was answered and I was able to push on. The thought has come to me that maybe we feel that our life is not that amazing, these thoughts and impressions are not wroth much. We have been counseled by modern prophets and apostles to keep a record. No we may not be famous or feel too important, But maybe the story of when you felt like you couldn't go on how you turned to the Lord will help one of your kids who read it get through a hard time. One thing I like to think about is we don't know how far we have come until we know where we came from.
I do know that their is a reason for why we are counseled to keep a journal, though I don't know every reason I know it is a wise thing to do. Just like Nephi a book of Mormon Prophet did not know exactly why at the time when he was told to keep a record when he said. In 1 Nephi 19:1-2 "1. And it came to pass that the Lord commanded me, wherefore I did make plates of ore that I might engraven upon them the record of my people. And upon the plates of ore that I might engraven upon them the records of my people. And upon the plates which I made I did engraven the record of my father, and alos our journeyings in the wilderness, and the prophecies of my father; and also many mine own prophecies have I engraven upon them.
 2 And I knew not at the time when I made them that I should be commanded of the Lord to make these plates.." I know of the strenght and comfort that comes form keeping the Lord's invitations. I can promise you even if you don't know why it is so important to keep a journal that when you do you will, see the lord's hand more in you life, you will have more comfort, you will know of the growth you have made in your life adn you will be able to not only read the scriptures for help, but also your own record of you life. I know that God and Christ are very aware of us and loves us so much. They want us to be blessed and I know this is one more way to help us.
(A video on the blessing of Keeping a journal. )


















No comments:

Post a Comment