Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Don't look down


While growing up in Utah I was very active in scouting. We did a lot of outdoor things as you would think. One of the things I loved to do was rock climbing. I wasn’t very good but I loved the feeling you would get after a climb. To see a big challenge like a mountain in front of you and to over come it was a thrill I loved. There are two main trips that stick out in my mind. My first time going out and then my last time. They help me see a very important lesson on trusting in the Lord.
As I was sitting on the the edge as a 12 year old boy, I looked over the edge. Trying to get enough strength to get over the edge. I kept telling myself, “Come on you can do it, everyone else is doing it.” I went up five times and five times I came down the other way. For some reason I could climb up but the repelling off part was a whole other story. This was my first trip with out my brother and I was scared for sure. I would try and pass off the blame by saying “If your brother was here then you would do it.” But on the way home the thoughts of the day was replaying in my mind. This thought came to mind, just because someone wasn’t there to push you along doesn't make it there responsibility. That hit me and so I decided from that moment that I would never back down from repelling again. It is your choice to go big or go home. Some years later we went again. And while standing over looking the edge all the same feelings came rushing back. But the memory of my first trip was firmly in my mind. I knew that I would not back down this time. As I got all the stuff on and set up and began to walk to the edge and turn around I the doubts came flooding back more then ever! But I stopped them and said no I must do this. So I just told myself here we go and I made that jump. The freedom that came as I felt the fear and shame melt away as I knew now that I had nothing that held me down anymore. As I did my first trip down that day I then turned to the younger scouts and help them down. And as I say the fear in there eye leave them was so worth it.



This lesson is the same with Christ. We can’t say oh that trial or that challenge is to hard or I’m not feeling that today. We need to accept our challenges in our lives and face them head on. Yes we will always be scared(2 Timothy 1:7), but we can not let that control us. Then when once we go though those trials we nee to turn around and help those around us. Chris is there and he is the one holding the other end of the rope for us. And if we fall he will be there to catch us. We need to take that leap of faith because he will never let us fall. Trust in him, he is there for you.








No comments:

Post a Comment