Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Bite and Die

Bite and Die


Growing us I spent a lot of time out doors, camping, hiking, hunting and Fishing. Every summer on most weekends I was gone. But one of my favorite activities was fly fishing. While I was looking back on these memories a lesson I learned caught my eye.  While fly fishing you use something called a fly, flies are used to imitate an insect. The fish will see the fly and eat it. But little does it know it could be its last bit. This is just like us with the temptations of Satan. Satan uses his
way to deceives us so we think that something is good but when we bit into it he gets us. When we read Ephesians 4:14 “That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive.” So as we see Satan is there waiting to attack and bring us down in any way that he thinks he can. He is very good at what he does; he has been at this for a very long time. But as the scriptures say “For they that are wise and have received the truth, and have taken the Holy Spirit for their guide, and have not been deceived—verily I say unto you, they shall not be hewn down and cast into the fire, but shall abide the day.” (45:57) He has given us the spirit to help us. Stay safe.
When I was about 9 I have an experience that really has imprinted this principle in my life. My dad, brother, and I were out on a bug trip . One morning my brother woke up one morning and he decided to go fishing, and invited me to come along. When we got down to the river I could see how fast the river was going and how loud it was. But trusting my brother we went on a rock half in the water and half on the bank. While I was standing behind him I wanted to be up in the front seeing what he was doing instead of standing behind him (where I later found out was safer). So I decided to go in front of him. When I made my fist step I thought I knew what I was going to do. Then when I took my second step my foot slipped and I began to fall. I could see what was going to happen I knew I was going into the water, and I would be tossed around like a rag doll. Just then I felt the arm of my brother reach around me and pull me back. As he did my favorite Utah Jazz hat fell off and went down the river. My brother saved my life and all I had to sacrifice was a hat. At the time the hat was a big deal. Looking back now it was not a big deal at all, to lose a hat. Once that happened he held my hand and guided me to the front of the rock so I could fish. And that is just how Christ is in our lives. When we think we know best, and that there is not danger around us we take that step or we go up to bit that fly. But when we find out that we really do not know the way and we start to fall Christ sweeps down and grabs us. Though it may hurt to (losing my hat, or biting that fly), but we get away from the river (Satan) at least we did not lose our lives. Let us use the Holy Ghost, and be guided thought the dangers of life. For Satan is lying in wait to catch us.  

                                         Check this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment